· Tipping in Iceland is considered an insult.
· People swallow about a pound of insects per year! There are even tiny pieces of insects in food!!
· The average life of a taste bud is 10 days.
· Ketchup was originally sold as a medicine in the 1830's.
· Butterflies taste with their feet.
· A duck's quack does not echo, and no one knows why.
· Average lifespan of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.
· American's eat an average of 18 acres of pizza a day.
· A crocodile always grows its teeth back to replace the old ones.
· American Airlines saved $40,000 by removing one olive from every salad in 1987.
· An ant will always fall on its right side when intoxicated. (did someone pay money for this study?)
· The Chico, CA city council enacted a ban on nuclear weapons, setting a $500 fine for anyone who detonates one in city limits.
· Starfish don't have brains.
· The bible is the world's most shoplifted book. (sad but true)
· The Main library at Indiana, University sinks 1 inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.
· Odds of hitting jackpot on a slot machine are 889 to 1.
· The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as blood plasma.
· Giant tortoises live between 150-200 years. (no wonder they are so slow!)
· If the entire population of China were to walk in front of you in a single file line, it would never end because of the rate of reproduction.
· A 'jiffy' actually means 1/100th of a second.
· Canada is an Indian word meaning 'big village'.
· In America, you're more likely to be hurt by a vending machine than a bear.
· The deer is the most dangerous animal in America.